The Salem High School community is dedicated to the pursuit of academic excellence, democratic ideals, and reputable character as we learn in a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative environment.
- All students can learn, and student learning is the primary focus of all decisions impacting the work of the school.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
- Teachers, administrators, parents, students, and the community share the responsibility for advancing student learning.
- The commitment to continuous improvement is imperative to enable students to become self-directed, life-long learners who take risks in an effort to adapt to and create change.
- A safe and orderly environment promotes student learning.
- A student’s confidence is enhanced by positive relationships and mutual respect among and between students and staff.
- Awareness of cultural diversity can increase students’ understanding of different peoples and cultures.
- Student-centered strategies and alternative assessments should be provided to accommodate individual needs and learning styles.
- Students need to demonstrate an understanding of essential knowledge and skills as well as to be actively involved in critical thinking and producing quality work.
- Teachers should provide opportunities for students to learn to function in different roles within a group.